On some basic concepts of the comic:
A setting about a magic world that works in similar fashion to Dave Ryan's Badass Muthas. I'm still in the deciding stages on what exactly should the time period most resemble, the plot is shaping up to be something around the 1400s-1500s which wasn't my initial thought for the comic. The plot is based on two different characters (All names mentioned henceforth aren't to be expected to be in the final product)
Characters thus far
• Transcription certificate, Magistrate commendations for Elemental magics (Earth focus)
• First year professor of 100 level pyrotechnics. Freelance Transcripter
• Born in border town Helleborn, Sunwealth Federation Territory
• Parents (Deceased): Galiardo Ferdinand (67) Maria Ferdinand (42). Unknown causes, investigation pending possible magic homicide. ( ao Gladia 560, 17th of Moording) "2 dead as possible magic user silently stalks the streets of border-town Helleborn" - Her Magistracy's Herald (Moording issue 1)
• Wearing black and gold professor robes over slacks and a white button down with brown dress shoes.
• Black hair and beard, slightly receding hairline. reasonably tall at 6'1" wiry build and wears reading glasses
• Born to a family of wealthy merchants, Michael's affinity towards magic showed very early on in his life. Being schooled by the best teachers money could buy, Michael shot through the Fabricator community with great success. His acceptance into one of the world's most prestiguous colleges of magic with recommendations from many high ranking professors coupled with his top-of-the-class graduation status added to his notoriety of spearheading a generation of fabricators with non-traditional family backgrounds. His lack of pedigree is often a major subject of criticism which has prevented him from attaining many high-ranking positions within the very community that had heaped so much praise upon him years prior. His lowly professor position at the modest Kigala School of Magic is a humbling fall from grace that Michael is still struggling to cope with. Coupled with news of his parent's death and the added responsibility of looking after a family friend's daughter, his life has taken a strange turn indeed.
• Magic Muted
• 13 years old. (Born ao Gladia 546, 20th of Moording)
• Born in Feist, Elions
• Parents (Deceased): Lord Dennouet Metterschein (Aged 65) Lady Ariel Metterschein (Aged 15) Mother died of complications during childbirth. (ao Gladia 546, 20th of Moording) Father died in an assassination that was of popular belief to be ordered by his younger brother, Prince Rodal. (ao Gladia 557, 26th of Futros) "Elions duke and daughter dies in tragic explosion." - Sloan's Inquiry (Halifax issue # 2)
• Wears an old Kigala trainee's robe (with the right sleeve cut at the shoulder) over a simple cotton shirt and torn canvas shorts and sandals.
• Butchered blond hair, pale white skin, blue eyes and short, skinny frame. Missing her right arm, usually wearing a wooden replacement (too poor for a nice and shiny one)
• The daughter of the Duke of Fiest, her mother died while she was giving birth. Not knowing the turmoil that her mother's death had caused, Forah lived a life of sheltered nobility for most of her childhood under her father's loving guidance. The rest of the family thought of her as an ill omen, as the death of Lady Ariel had destroyed any good will between Elion's two main ruling families of Elions, the Metterschein and Ladimaas. Sometime before Forah's tenth birthday, unrest within the Metterschein family had begun to mount as tensions between her father and uncle reached a it's breaking point. With prince Rodal gaining popularity from the general populous and even within the Metterschein family itself, Lord Dennouet began to fear the worst.
Contacting a longtime compatriot, Galiardo, he arranged his daughter to be secretly smuggled out of the country to be looked after by the Ferdinand family. The day of her departure, however was interrupted when hired fabricators invaded the castle and struck and killed the Duke. Dennouet, just before his death returned fire with his own magic, causing massive destruction and killing many people caught in the resulting explosion. Forah was also struck in the process and mortally wounded. Galiardo, arriving just in time, used the distraction to flee with her. With Forah's life sustained with Auto-catalyst first aid long enough to attain real medical attention, Galiardo was able to hide her away for around three years before Duke Rodal discovered Galiardo's involvement in the disappearance of his brother's daughter.
• Age 67 (Born ao Gladia 493, 57th of Turgis)
• Born in Destra, Elions
• Wears a grey haired wig with a pony-tail, brown eyes, angled features and mild signs of aging. Often wears a three point cap with a feather in it, red britches, and a white frilled shirt with a matching red overcoat.
• Galiardo had spent half a lifetime touring the world in search of treasure. His insatiable appetite for adventure took precedent over even his own family, who he'd leave the family business to on his many extended "vacations" as he'd call them. His famous outings proved to be incredibly profitable, as whatever knowledge or items he had brought back with him turned a hefty profit. Galiardo's lasting friendship with fellow adventurer and prince, Dennouet Metterschein eventually turned into a partnership, and so Galiardo's empire grew. Always fascinated by magic, he was ecstatic to hear that his youngest son had turned out to have such a high capacity for the discipline. Wasting no time, Galiardo sent little Michelangelo on his way to various masters of the arts.
By Michelangelo's college years, Galiardo fully gave control over the family business to elder son Samuel in order to fully pursue his passion into his remaining twilight years. It was during this time that he was contacted by his former compatriot, Dennouet about a matter of grave importance. Galiardo, unfortunately was not able to aid his friend in time, but was able to snatch his daughter from certain death, albeit not in one piece. Spending the next three years keeping Dennouet's assailants off of his trail, Galiardo returned home with Forah in hopes of bringing her a semi-stable life. Upon discovering her latest whereabouts, Duke Rodal was determined to finish what he started three years ago. Galiardo seized the opportunity and sent Forah after Michelangelo before confronting the hired assassins Rodal had sent to dispatch his threat to the throne.
Duke Rodal Metterschein
• Aged 56 (Born ao Gladia 504)
• Born in Fiest, Elions
• Short, cropped grey hair and blue eyes. Tall and imposing, with a heavy scowl and nasty scar that goes from the top of his mouth to the bottom of his eye.
• Wears royal clothes ( don't really have much of a description yet)
• A former adventurer himself, Duke Rodal suffered a grave injury whilst following his older brother into battle, forcing him back home indefinitely. Intensely jealous of his older brother's success Rodal spent his entire life deconstructing anything that his elder brother worked for. Eventually, he gained his chance during some of Elion's worst political turmoil in generations. Rallying the commonfolk and nobles alike, Rodal eventually gained enough power from within that he was eventually able to simply overthrow his brother in a violent coup. Using the rumors to his advantage, Duke Rodal made the deaths seem to be apart of a grand conspiracy against the royal family at large and took the opportunity to purge the castle of his undesirables, those who were still considered loyal to the previous duke.
Rodal's final act is to tie up one last loose end: Forah.
How it works:
Magic is broken up into two categories:
"Producer" and Consumer
It is then further broken down into two other categories from there:
External and Internal
It is finally broken into their respective element (or lack there of) which can be combined to create subelements. Some of the common ones include:
Fire, Water, Organic(life), Earth, Wind, and Death.
Certain elements when combined will result in multiple subelements and are often reliant on the raw material being used, which bring this to an important note, elemental based magic is invariably Consumer based. Producer "Elements" would be Mind and Body.
This will surely grow to be an enormous amount of information:
Consumer - Magic that requires both a catalyst and raw material or the actual element to work.
Catalyst - An object that contains initial energy that can be used to start a magical reaction. These objects often can range from powerful magical essences such as Lica (usually fixed onto a magical wand or gloves) or simple things like a lighter or battery. Many elements often require a heavy catalyst like Lica in order to work as they require a large amount of initial energy.
Lica - A weak magical element that is highly abundant and easily pliable and folded into whatever form the maker desires. A small amount of Lica will last a heavy magic user a few hours, with some spells using the entire amount from a single use. It is considered the most ideal magical catalyst due to the low toxicity of the the material. A process of creating synthetic Lica has been discovered, but it is very dangerous and heavily regulated by the ministries.
Kappe - A powerful magical element that is highly poisonous to humans and damaging to the user when used. Used only in certain conditions and mechanical mediums where there is no direct human interaction. Often used to power large machines, this element is industrial in nature.
Fabricator - A magician.
Affinity - A natural predisposition towards a specific element.
Mute - Someone who lacks a will strong enough to perform magic.
Transcription - A popular service amongst commoners (read: Mute) that involves combining auto-start catalysts with a dormant spell. Spells often require extensive knowledge of ancient languages and magic notation. This is a school in of itself, as fabricators often do not know the magic languages that are required to imprint their spells into objects, something that it not generally required to perform magic in person.